The world through the eyes of a woman 2

Unto us a child is born, unto us a life so young.......... Tiffany©


  • The challenge of being a girl begins right after the arrival to life. The birth of a girl child is met with lesser celebration that of a male child especially in the traditional African society.


The reason for this is quite obvious since the male child,particularly the first one,  is seen as the pillar of the home; someone to take control of the home in the absence of the father.  A male child is seen as a potential head of the family and is treated as such. The female child, on the hand is viewed as a source of income for the family [as a result of the exorbitant amount of money and other goods collected as dowry during the wedding] and in the time she's growing up, she takes up the post of chief maid [doing all the house chores which the male child isn't supposed to partake in because ''it's a woman's job''].
  This situation used to be justified in the olden days when the male children as soon as they can walk, are taken to the farm with their father to work. 
Then,  the girls would stay home and do the chores . This made perfect sense then, but now,  it just can't work out! There are virtually no farms for the boys to work in,  so why do girls still retain the post of 'beast of burden' for the family?
It's no longer justifiable in the 21st century. Since the main responsibility of children now is their education, I feel they should be given the same amount to house chores instead of heaping it all on the girls under the pretense of preparing them for marriage. It's no wonder why the rate of crashed marriages has increased exponentially over time. The girls are being prepared/groomed in preparation for marriage but no one takes the pain to teach the boys what it takes to be a responsible husband. He is brought up thinking he is just supposed to sit around in the house and boss his wife (a.k.a executive ekaette)  around the house. No sense of appreciation for the things she does for him (cooking and co.......)because he e was raised  with the orientation that it's her job/duty. 

  I understand that it's not in all homes that the domestic chores are assigned to the girls only but still,  it happens in a lot of homes. Let's take for example something that happened to me.  I once lived with my grand mother for a while recently and while I was there,  a male cousin of mine came over to spend the night. The following morning,  I was trying to run around to do the chores (fetching water, cooking, sweeping. Etc). Because the cousin was relatively younger, I just left him to be chilling. I was cooking and sweeping at the same time and at a point I asked him to go check the rice on fire of there was still water in it. That was all I said o!  Immediately my grandma heard this, she shouted at me saying I should never ask him to go do anything in the kitchen. That it was a woman's job. I was so mad that day, I didn't even know when I shouted back at her that did she expect me to divide myself in two to attend to the various things I was doing. And moreover, the boy she asked not to go to the kitchen was also going to eat the food that was on fire,it wasn't like  I asked him to wash my clothes! I then turned to the boy and told him '' if you like don't check the food, it's hunger that will kill us in this house if it burns because I'm not gonna touch that rice again''. End of discussion!


Meanwhile guys, for corrections and suggestions, you can contact me on facebook :- Fanimokun Oluwatoyin
Instagram:- i_am_tiffany_1
Email :- oluwatoyin.fanimokun@yahoo.com
Thank you for your support!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fantasy